For the Cup

Last year I became officially determined to do an Ironman when Tim and I were at our friend Mykl Shannon's house. It was early in the morning. We were getting ready to "bandit" the La Jolla Half. I was in desperate need of coffee. Mykl placed a cup of steaming cup of joe in front of me. Then he quickly took it back. He said "oops you can't drink from that cup, that's for Ironman finishers" He pointed out I had only done a half. It was his Ironman mug and only finishers could drink from that cup. He went on to talk about his Ironman experience and then I decided to take it on. I will do that race and I will drink from that mug.
This mug is for display purposes only. The mug I will drink from actually won't say World Championships on it. This was the only one I could find and I didn't have time to airbrush it out.

Sunday was my last day of work before Ironman. I was the resource nurse today in the ICU only I think I was more of a resource on the sport of triathlons. Most of the day was spent trying to explain what an Ironman is and why I would do one. I answered a lot of questions I haven't given much thought to in a long time. Here are a few of my favorites.



1. Do you do it all in one day?
There is a 17 hour time limit as well as a time limit for each event.


2. You get to take a break right?
You could....but I don't plan on it

3. Are you going to do all of it?
I'm going to try.

4. Ironman is in Hawaii right?
You have to qualify for that race.

5. Will you qualify for Hawaii?
NO.....but it's not going to stop me from trying;)


6. Does your fiance do this too?
Yes , but he'll be ahead of me.

7. How far is it?
2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26 mile run

8. What about going to the bathroom?
No answer.....that's a blog in it's own right.

No comments: