Economically Useless Emotionally Priceless

 Economically useless. Emotionally priceless. A term that describes the child in a modern day family. Before those holding AARP cards start cluck clucking and trash talking today's parents for not using the belt please note; if you had homework, you too fall into the category of being economically useless.

Personally, I would like to challenge this statement by saying my cohorts and I may indeed be emotionally priceless but economically useless? Oh, I think not. Look at us rake those leaves. Hah! I've heard so much about "Raising Bebe" How much better behaved the French children are. I have heard how wonderful the public preschool is and how they eat gourmet food. Here is what I would like to hear. ..Do they provide lawn care? If the answer is no....well then maybe we American kids and our parents are not so bad.

Seriously, did anybody ever stop and think maybe we kids today are not so bad? Mind you, I did not say not so messy, or not a lot of work. It seems like I just keep reading about all the bad behaviors in children due to the awful parenting. Please note "parent" is no longer a noun, it is a verb.

Seriously, there are all these books about child rearing, Tiger Momming, helicoptering, and if you read them you think we are in a terrible state and that every parent today has adopted a parenting style of which NONE are right.

If you step back for a second and watch my friends and I play.You might think maybe, just maybe, we are just kids and we are alright. Low and behold, you might think maybe, just maybe, our parents.....they are alright too. Seriously, is there a book out there that says maybe todays parents are doing a fine job. Probably not, because then there wouldn't be anything left to sell.

 Parents can laugh about their children becoming boneless and lowering their bodies to the ground in any grocery store, bank, post office, fancy restaurant, you name it. Articles from the Huffington post summarizing preschoolers and toddlers are wildly popular. However, if you are from a generation once removed can it. If you dare sigh at my mere entrance to an establishment remember you are entitled to drink your coffee in peace...
 In peace somewhere else! How about your house? I am sure it is quiet.

 Now if you'll excuse me. I have to get back to my fantasy play.
 My airplane is soon departing.


No comments: