Wildflower 2008

Friday, May 2


Wildflower Preparation Day



This year I was determined things would be different than last year. I had a lot of fun with Tim, the Neuschwander clan. The Bellas were awesome. Listening to Mykl tell stories around the campfire was more entertaining than any movie I've ever paid for. The race for me however was sheer disaster. I would never had signed up for Wildflower again if it didn't mean so much to Tim. Wildflower of all the races was his favorite and I wanted him to enjoy doing the race again. I suppose I could have done the short course on Sunday......but thankfully Elaine told me she did that once and it was the worse. I believe she used the term "sucker" to describe what she felt Saturday night. The majority of the gang was relaxing post race. Drinking beers and telling stories and she had to worry about what time her alarm would be going off. No.... I would take on the beast again but this time I hoped things would be different.




Tim's Version of Race Prep


Wording off the Bonk
1 scoop = 120 calories.
No artificial or natural flavors present.


Seth's pre race routine



I had major goals this year

a) To not be munched by the course
b) Remain positive and have a good time :) (time is subject to interpretation)
c) Not drop the transmission in my car like I did during last years travel.....although this year the repairs wouldn't dip in to the time trial fund:) That's already been covered
d) Absolutely No bonking........ No, No, No

Last but not least
e) Drop a few boys

Tim and I decided to capitalize on his relatively open schedule this year and make a real weekend of Wildflower. Thursday night we drove to San Luis Obispo (SLO) to stay with Tim's brother Seth and lovely wife Val. Seth would be doing his first 1/2 IM this weekend. It would be the second triathlon of his life ( He's pretty brave Huh?) It was kind of Seth and Val to put us up for the weekend.

Friday morning we got up and fueled with some waffles. Carb loading :) Then we headed out to test our race rigs. Yes I rolled my pink Guru with a Zipp disk all over SLO at a really SLOW pace. The wind was blowing which pleased me as I wanted to test my disk in the wind. My bike felt rock solid in cross winds. Yee Haaw. I was going to be a chick with a disk. I love the noise my disk makes. It's so much fun. We finished our ride and did a short 2 .25 mile run. We were only supposed to run 2 miles but I got distracted and forgot to quit for a minute. I hoped this 1/4 mile wouldn't be deleterious to my performance.

After our run we had lunch with Val at the High Street Deli and spent some time getting prepped for race day. More importantly we spent sometime looking at wedding invites. Tim pretended he didn't care but really he was all about it. I did make him take his aero helmet off in the stationary store. That evening we had a nice dinner and I probably stayed up later than I should have discussing wedding details with Val. It was time for bed and soon Wildflower would be here.

No comments: