San Diego Fires




October 29th


One week later my life is back to normal.

Monday October 22, I was evacuated from my home due to the fire.

Luckily, I had already gone to Tim's due to the poor air quality. When I left on Sunday. I thought the smoke was drifting down from the Malibu fires. I brought my computer to Tim's to work on my blog and my bike so we could tinker with it. After a weekend of riding it needed a bit of love. I also packed a pair of scrubs for work the next day. I didn't anticipate the fires would be so close to my home. On my way to work Monday morning an official evacuation was called for my area. Tim offered to get some "things I couldn't live without" but called back shortly after and said it would be impossible due to traffic. My roommate Emily grabbed a folder for me but I had know idea if she grabbed the right papers. It was weird starting my work day not knowing if I would ever go back to the place I lived. It felt like staring ahead on an empty freeway. Nobody new exactly where the fire perimeters were because it was too windy to fly. The winds were gusting up to 80 mph and the embers flew up to 2 miles. I knew 3000 acres had burned in and around Ramona. Ramona is home of some of my favorite(roll out the door from home)climbing, As you summit the grade, the landscape changes dramatically. The mountains become scattered with large rock formations that look like they could be from outer space. It is less densely populated with large farms. It has a real feeling of being rural and I find that comforting. When, I arrived at work I learned Highland Valley Road had burned. I wouldn't wish my complex to burn on for the others who live here but I'd gladly trade all the contents in my place to have that road back. The first time I rode Highland Valley Road with Tim I mentioned I was thirsty. It was hot and there were no parks with water fountains or convenience stores for miles. We came upon an estate with an orange orchard. Even though it was late in the season the oranges were perfectly ripe and hanging over the fence, and scattering the side of the road. We stopped and Tim reached the high branches picked a few and squeezed them into my water bottle. I had freshly squeezed orange juice. Hydration and nutrition in a chivalrous matter. I couldn't get the sadness of loosing this beauty out of my head as I tired to focus on my current assignment as well as prepare to receive patients evacuated from Palomar/ Pomerado hospital. The TV blared, and I learned Rancho Bernardo and Rancho Santa Fe were burning. Oh boy...they are right up the road from me. Typically I ride my bike north on Camino Del Sur. I ride East to RB or West to Rancho Santa Fe. Ugh, if they can't save Rancho Santa Fe they are not going to save my place. I still don't care about the possessions I loose. The best things in life are free. Everything else is replaceable. I learn Del Dios highway is burning. I remember riding this road for the first time with my friend Katie. She translated that Del Dios meant highway of God. It was during this ride I decided to abandon travel nursing and commit to a life in San Diego. I figured any decision made on the highway of God had to be one on the right path. With this news I feel bewildered and dismayed. I feel if my memories will burn. Life as I know it will change. This is the route Tim and I ride when he sneaks into the lab a little late. (sorry I hope Tim's boss Alan never reads this blog).

Throughout the day I feel some hope and comfort. Support seeps through San Diego and through Scripps Mercy. I have many offers for a place to stay. Many from people I barely know. I am thanked for coming to work. I think where else would I be. This is when I am needed most. This is why I am in this field and not selling vacuum cleaners. I appreciate this renewed relevation. Tim is on call Monday night. I go to his house after work and watch the news. It is smokey, even in PB. The side of his street is reminiscent of the 4th of July, when people park on this street to watch the fireworks. I fall asleep hoping the wind dies down and things return to normal soon.

Tuesday is another nail biter but the helicopters begin to fly. We know the fire in Rancho Santa Fe is contained and Tim is able to get some of my things that it would be nice to keep. I am nervous for him to be at my place. I would rather everything burn than have him in harms way. He assures me that the winds are blowing in the other direction. He doesn't want my things to survive the fire fire only to be looted. It is nice knowing that I won't have to replace my passport and knowing that I won't have to fight with my renters insurance to replace my most expensive things. Ironically I feel blessed to have had my first road bike stolen, and my car broken into while relocating across country. The loss of the road bike prompted me to get property inusrance. Loosing the loot from my car taught me that letting go of possesions can be hard but things can be replaced.
I am working again this day. Tim and I discuss cancelling our trip to visit his family in the Bay area. We learn medical volunteers being turned away from Qualcomm. From the 10th floor of Scripps Mercy I seesmoke all around us. I learn of my coworkers who watched Mt San Miguel burn during night shift. I learn of my coworkers who saw flames out there windows. I am lucky I think.

Wednesday I work again I learn the band has been lifted where I live. Tim picks up some things so I have what I need to comfortably leave for the Bay area. He picks me up from work that evening and we head to the airport. We land at Oakland airport and the air smells fresh. I sleep well that night.

Thursday we enjoy a run (well run /walk with my IT band) on the Pleasanton Ridge. We take Tim's family dogs. Life feels selfishly normal. That evening we enjoy dinner in San Fransisco to celebrate Tim's mom's birthday. We have a nice time. I enjoy the food, company, and the sights of the city. I am very lucky compared to those more deeply affected by the fire.

Friday we return home. Tim is on call that evening. The Air Quality is improved. I pick my new bike up from the shop in Poit Loma. I take it for a few spins around Fiesta Island before heading to my place. Upon arrival home, the air isn't quite as good. As I wipe the soot from my sink, fans, and windowsills I am thankfully my place is intact. I wonder what life would be like if my house burned down. I think of those whose homes burned. When will there lives be normal? I think of those injured in the fire or lost in the fire, and those fighting what is left of the fire. They are in my prayers.

Jen

No comments: