And Then Came Snow

Was it a trick or a treat? The real Halloween day came and so did snow. Having several costumes on hand I elected my Elmo one for the school parade. It was the warmest. However, with 30 mph wind gusts they move the parade of 30 pounders inside.
My Mom and Dad declared it a treat indeed and hit the trails for a ride. This fall's onset of preschool has done wonders for my Mom's ability to find time to ride. Mother natures precipitation has been beyond generous, thus making for some messy, messy  bikes. Seriously, sometimes my Mom shows up to preschool pick up smelling like duck poop soup. So needless to say frozen ground and a little clean white snow were a welcome change.
The following Sunday my parents were all smiles. Snow was in the forecast. It was the day before the predicted storm.The air was cool and the wet muck was frozen.  I'd say my Mom was tickled pink, but she's sporting hunters orange. You know Mom ... good job sporting safety in style...No there shouldn't be any shooting on the trails she rides but seriously if birds and deer are in season do you want to look like one?
My Dad really was hoping to get these bad boys out but the storm wasn't to hit until Monday. The summer toys were stowed and 29+ tires removed for full fats. Race bikes have about one use in the winter...in the kitchen as pizza cutters.
My Mom, or Mamma Jen Jen, as I call her was really hoping not to have to clean her bike up post ride. Apparently, she ate a little bit too much oatmeal for breakfast a broke through a swamp sized puddle about 2 minutes prior to ending her ride.
She really didn't feel like hooking up the hose to scrub her bike so she put it off until after lunch. We went outside and the ground looked liked this.
So if people do  salt scrubs at spas, shouldn't a bike like a snow scrub? Who needs a hose?
Don't worry the dirt from the bike was soon covered in clean snow. It kept snowing and snowing and snowing.
The next day school was cancelled. My Dad plowed the driveway before 6:00 a.m. 2 hours later one wouldn't have known. We attempted to head to an appointment. I was a short lasted attempt and a first ? In all my Mom's years of being a Yooper and living with a hilly driveway to date nobody has become stuck getting down a driveway. It's always getting up a driveway that gets one stuck however,  unless you had a full size pick up for clearance there was no way to clear the ridge of snow between the driveway and the one lane of semi plowed road. Being stuck at home is not the worst thing
I'll just have a seat on my imaginary couch.
Once upon a time this was a driveway.
My playhouse didn't used to be such a long walk.
Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, a trudging we will go!


This is my elephant tree. I rescued it from the heavy snow. Thus getting my first white wash in the process.
Life and love is a heavy, heavy load so they say
Home  is warm and cozy.

It was hard work getting there.

I am thankful to have a roof over head and shelter
Good thing Grandpa builds to code.



They don't make snow bikes my size, but that's ok. My cycling season isn't over.


No comments: