Tom's in town

Just before Christmas Tom rolled into town. He was determined to get the most out the last few days of the year. I believe he stated he wanted to beat Old Man Winter, cheat him out of the shortest, darkest, and dreariest days of the year. In retrospect I'd say he did exactly that.

For a while it seemed he had been upgraded to a first class seat on the runway before finally departing. Tom flew into town late Sunday night after his plane was delayed leaving Detroit due to some unruly snowflakes. He settled into the Del Mar Marriot for some respite before beginning adventures with me.

Monday morning I gave him a call just after I finished my morning swim workout. Logic would dictate if I have finished a swim workout he should be awake right? Wrong. It's only 7:30 am at this time. A little groggy he sounded. No worries, I knew he would soon be bizzled and ready for adventures. I headed North from the UCSD campus one exit and pulled into the Del Mar Marriot. I knew the adventure was about to begin. After a morning swim I was ready for breakfast and coffee. I strolled up to Tom's room and we headed to the top floor for breakfast and bizzle. The sun was shining despite it being cold for San Diego standards. Out the window we could see most of Carmel Valley (where I live). Lots of cyclists were out on the 56 bike path. San Diego is such a cool and active community. As we sipped SBUX bizzle we planned our day's adventure.
We decided our adventure for the day would be Sea World or as Tom called it the "Shamu Show". I deicided to pay special attention to the dolphins. I would try to do a better job gliding through the water at my next swim workout. Funny, I don't think I looked that smooth from under the water at swim this morning. Sometimes we do dolphin dives but I don't think I look like these talented creatures.They should probably call my manuvers "Distressed Dolphin." Tom must have thought I didn't become wet enough at swim that morning. He was sure to be a sport and convince me to go on the rides that "may get you wet, possibly soaked".

Wish I Could Swim like that!

We walked a lot and saw everything. We went up in the tower that gives you a panoramic view of San Diego. In the winter it is covered with Christmas lights and looks like a Chrristmas tree. You can see it from Tim's house. In fact Tim was telling me a story about goingup in the tower with his grandpa when he was a kid the other day. As I looked across the bay towards the lights , I could just picture it. Crash. I came tumbling down into the street. Darn crack in the pavement. Well that woke me up.

My favorite picture from the park is one on my cell phone of Tom and a polar bear. I can only share it in person though. I will say the polar bear in the picture with Tom does not look nearly as sweet or innocent as this one.


After a full day at the park we headed north to my home in Carmel Valley. That evening Tim came over. We headed out for a 5 mile run before heading to my favorite pizza joint "Pizza Port." Pizza port is in Solana Beach it is approx 13 miles home via bike. You can hardly imagine the aroma I partake of after 50, 80, or 100 miles of riding. There just happens to be a traffic signal that inconveniently turns red whenever I am really hungry and smells waft into the street. Tom enjoyed the pizza followed by an enjoyable ride home via the backroad through Rancho Santa Fe. In the big systems Buick some might have mistaken us for locals.

The next morning Tim came over prior to the crack of dawn and in our warmest cycling gear we headed out for a fast 54 mile ride. It was light out but still very cold as we rolled along. At first I had a hard time trying to make my legs go fast. I just hadn't had enough coffee. Tim was smart and he drank some good espresso in his car on the way over. Ugg.....I yawned along as Tim zipped ahead. Then the coffee kicked in and I warmed up a little. I really enjoyed my morning ride with Tim. When we got back Tim made his famous sourdough pancakes. I manned the coffee (an important task too)Tom smelled the coffee and slugged down a cup while Tim finished preparing the pancakes. Pancakes, coffee, and real maple syrup after an early morning ride. Yum. To have a ride in this early makes me feel delicously smug. What a good start to the day.

Unfortunately Tim had to go to work and miss out of the fun. We decided to go to Balboa Park for the day. Maybe we could all meet for coffee near the park. Tim and I both work near Balboa Park. It is a really cool and colorful area of San Diego. Full of coffee shops and men working out in tighter shirts than I'd ever wear... ....if you get my drift.

Hmm where could we meet later in the day for coffee and a treat.

Some place ................extraordinary.


Yes, Extraordinary Desserts. I had only been there twice and it was over a year ago. Tim was there once. Uh huh. Not with me. On a date .....with another girl ;) Another girl got dessert and I had to ride up Torrey Pines on a bet to get dinner Hmmmm. Well we see how thinkgs have worked out. Anyway we were all looking forword to the visit to E.D.


Tom and I spent the day strolling the park. We visited the Museum of Man. Tom put his Blackberry to good use looking up anything we weren't sure about on Wikipedia. The afternoon went by quick. We enjoyed a cool IMAX film on dinasours and soon it was after 5:00 p.m. Time to head to Extraordinary Desserts and meet Tim.



Tip: If you click the picture it will enlarge!

2nd tip:If you come visit I'll take you there!

Tim arrives as Tom and I are sipping tea. We glance longingly at the long display of desserts. They look like a work of art. It's sort of sad somebody worked so lovingly in creating these delicously and soon they would be assulted by silverware. Maybe instead of vegetarians people should be dessertatarians. It must be cruelty to the desserts about to be snorkled up. Tim looks at the displays and declares he doesn't see anythink he thinks looks good. He does this with a very serious look on his face and even I almost believe him....Almost, but not quite. Tom looks quite confused. He doesn't know Tim well enough to know he's kidding. The three of us make our selections and it is now 6:30 pm. None of us have eaten since breakfast and with a day of activity I am starving. It's time for dinner. I once read "In a world of uncertainty eat your dessert first". I ate less than half of my piece of super delux chocolate pie. It was about twice as much as I should have eaten. About a 1/2 hour later I had the worst stomach ache I think I ever had. I think the boys polished off their desserts with no remorse. I was feeling like the kid who sneaks the dessert his mom says is too rich. "You'll get a stomach ache and then you'll be sorry" she crowes. On the way home Tom asks me to stop by a sporting goods store for a pair of shades. He forgot his sunnies as it was gloomy in Michigan. He needed a replacement for the rest of his trip. While he is looking at sunnies I break out into a cold sweat and feel clammy. This is a sure sign that I am in diabetic ketoacidosis despite not being a diabetic. I need an insulin drip, too much sugar. I need to go to the E.D. and not Extraordinary Desserts the Emergency Department. I wonder who the admitting team is. I wonder if they'll drop an NG and pump my tummy. Oh dear. This is not good. How will I live this down. In a life of uncertainty don't eat your dessrt first. I survive the trip home and force myself to head out for a run. I figure I can't feel much worse. I sort of feel like a dog eating grass. Miraculously I am saved from an embarrassing ICU admission and I recover by completing my 5 mile run. Maybe this is the true sign of an Ironwoman. I have overcome adversary. Thank goodness. No NG tube, no IV insulin.

In the morning I have to work and Tom continues on with his journey to Vegas. A good visit it has been.














2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you mad because you had to work harder for your dessert?

Unknown said...

Thanks for hosting me for the leading edge of a killer vacation. One good trip deserves another.

I am glad that you and Tim could join us in Northern Michigan to round out January.

Happy Trails