The Day Before Christmas Camp 2007

December 21, 2007Poised and ready to drop the boys.





Tim and I headed north to Pleasanton to see his family for Christmas and multi-sport training camp. Before we proceed I must tell you why the bike ride December 21st was so great. I started the morning with a master's swim which felt great. My body felt all loose after floating in the water. Everybody was jolly as the coach Sickie had us doing drills based on the 12 days of Christmas. As I walked to my car after swim, my mobil shrieked with enthusiasm alerting me of Tim's call. Tim was post-call and actually done at 9 a.m. He would be able to ride with me. I headed home to prepare some pb&j's and prep my bike for our ride. We did the loop I call "extended Elfin." The song "over the river and through the woods, to grandmothers house we go" describes this route perfectly. Except it's really over the river, through an elfin forest, over a mountain top and west to the ocean we go. Anyway I was feeling pretty good and when we came out at the ocean when lo- and behold we bumped into Tim's buddies Mykl, Simon, and Matt. They were quite good sports as they rode behind me and I told them they were my harem. It is really fun to see the dynamics of guys as they ride together. When I ride with the Bellas all of the women are very encouraging and nurturing of each other. Somebody could be totally deconditioned and the other gals would pull for her and tell her she be just fine. If one of the girls bonks, she'll have five others whipping out an extra gel. Very different are the dynamics the theses Stooges. Simon is a preppy European guy, who today is wearing arm warmers with a tattoo pattern, they almost look real but not quite. Simon looks very much the part of a serious roadie, but must not have been riding much lately as he's falling off the pace. We slow for him, then he picks up the pace on the next incline and tries to drop us ( well me) no luck for him and he relinquishes his attack. Matt is an English gent, who is a fan of fine bikes. He went head to head with Tim on the Mt. Soledad time trail. Tim edged him out by pretending he was tired and grimacing then sprinting past Matt at the edge. They have remained friends despite this episode. Anyway, Matt's looking very fashionable in a retro Bianchi jersey and his red, white, and blue Pinarello bike. In fact he is so fashionable he has a red front tire and a blue rear tire. Tim told goaded him by mentioning it was a "mullet" bike. You know the hair cut that is ready for work in the front, and long in the back for party at night. This statement I don't know if Matt will let go so easily. Huck choo.....Matt spits on the ground and with a look of disgust he says icily in a proper English accent. "This is a Pinarello with Campy Record" Matt is obviously over the antics of the three stooges. We ride along and I am so entertained by the guys antics I forget how much energy I am expending. They seem to be chatting like school girls and I sink into my aero bars and ride away. I ride off the front. Apparently MykL says to Tim "does she really think she can drop us?" He sprints ahead and pulls some big watts to take the lead. Tim looks at me and says "you ready?"with a knowing raise of the eyebrow. I draft Tim up to Mykl then Tim gives my bike a push and I sail past Mykl. I really wish I had a bell to ring as I passed him. I really Mykl doesn't know I had any assistance and gives up after standing up and firing for two revolutions. I ride along then slow down and start to sing "and another bites the dust" At this point Simon turns his bike around and says he's done. The boys depart and Tim and I head east on the 56 mile bike path. We arrive home and we head out for a solid 5 mile brick run before dinner as our chicken gorgonzala bakes in the oven. We enjoy our dinner, savor every calorie after a training day like today. Tim departs after dinner. We have to pack for Christmas camp tonight. Tomorrow Tim is picking me up before 0500 to drive north. That night I sleep like a baby as visions of biking, skiing, and running with Riley dog dance in my head.

No comments: