Tales of Thanksgiving: Redwood Forest Ride


Riley says "it's time for you to get up"


Monday, November 19

I like mornings in this house. Riley comes and looks at me and waits patiently for me to wake up and acknowledge him. After petting his soft and furry head I tiptoe in to check my e-mail . Riley now turns his attention to Tim. After awakening Tim, Riley is satisfied and beds down for a nap. We shuffle into the kitchen where Tim and Bruce make yummy cappuccinos with Bruce's really cool and labor intense Italian Espresso maker. I like watching the dynamics between Tim and Bruce as the milk is foamed. I sort of savor the morning, it's relaxing and exertion is around the corner.

Not long after breakfast we head out for a ride. Told you exertion was coming. We ride through the Redwood forest. It is really gorgeous. I love the trees. It starts to rain. Bruce apologizes but despite it being cold I think I like the fact that it's raining. It makes the woods seem genuine and authentic. We talk about dropping down into Berkeley to warm up and sip coffee. We nix the idea. I can only foresee getting cold if we stop pedaling. Although, I would like very much to do this ride again and descend into Berkeley for coffee. It is beautiful. I chuckle to myself remembering my last experience in Berkeley with my brother Tom. I was one day post marathon and hobbling all over town. The grin on Tom's face went from ear to ear.

The ride is pretty calm and quiet today. After yesterdays Mt. Diablo climb nobody has extra energy to egg the others on. I'd call it a moment of "truce". We ride through the forest then back towards town. We ride through Walnut Creek and Danville. It stops raining and we stop for a cookie break. Yum, Cindy's cookies are good and good energy. Soon our 50 mile loop is over. Now we can rest, right?......Wrong.

Tim and I are teased about our leisurely lunch. PB&J's with another capuchi. "This is the life," I want to say. However, we are the ones riding the most miles this day. We head out for round two with Cindy. We ride the "Sunol" loop. It is really pretty. Lots of hills and farm houses. I would like to live on one of these roads. It's beautiful. It feels good to spin out our legs. We enjoy another 15 miles. I like this loop very much.

When we finish we skip our bricks and clean our bikes instead. We are a little fanatical about this, but boy do they glisten and shine. After that we enjoy dinner and retire to bed. Sweet repose.

Tomorrow will be another great ride.

No comments: