The best race

 The Marquette Marathon was my favorite race this summer. I wasn't planning for it to be. Running a 1/2 marathon on the trails and roads I train might seem boring. The opposite was true. Above all I'm always grateful for my time to workout. Sometimes to make it happen conditions are less than ideal.  Solo before dawn flushing animals, snow/ice covered descents prepping for Boston's hills, 16 mile runs on a treadmill ( Amazon prime.Netflix) Pushing a stroller on a group run only to be sidelined mid great conversation to find a lost paci, toy or snack. ...These problems of privilege for sure. They are also taxing enough to make me feel like the race was my daily workout with a red carpet and paparazzi. I mean really .... Police men forcing the cars to stop so I could cross the street with out breaking stride.....I love it! That has to be "so red carpet" don't you agree?  People cheering in the crowd that actually want to see you do well because they like you as a person is kind of neat too.  To those who stood in the rain and howling wind to cheer and take pictures I owe you one. 
"Surround Yourself with great people"

I didn't plan to leave the start hard but somehow I found myself on the front line surrounded by great people and  having a blast. The minute the National Anthem was over it started to poor. I confess I fist pumped...who wants to over heat anyway. 

I
 My plan was to take the best of my fitness and augment it with smarts. I planned to run the first 10 miles holding back and put out a 5k effort for the final 5k. The first 10 miles are pretty easy. A few gentle rollers and net down hill. Go to fast and you'll pay. The land lord knocks on the door demanding the rent in the final 5 k. It is up hill and it can be windy. The last mile is up third street. It is a false flat. The street is wide open and you see the finish line for way too long. Do not listen to music....you'll be demoralized when the 4th song comes on and you are not there yet. I metered out my efforts perfectly except I underestimated just how strong the wind would be coming off Lake Superior. I'm a tough chick but no match for Mother Superior. My 5k effort barely got me across Pine Street without blowing over. Then it hailed on me and I sign a police barricade blow over all in the last mile of the race. I started laughing. I just couldn't help it because I realized it's the stuff you can't make up that I really, really love most about racing. I'm 1/3 struggling, 1/3, smiling, and 1/3 laughing in disbelief as I approach the finish line.

 
Candid shots capture everything. This shot is not a carefully curated version of myself. It's true to what I was thinking . "That was fun. I'm glad it ended before I blew up, 1:36 is pretty good for life styling the training and let's be honest "Shit! I could see 1:34 on the clock as I approached it...how the hell long does it take you to finish something?"
And the real reason it was the best race of summer....The Friday night kids race.  Sometimes I think I am over racing the distance of the marathon. I wonder why it is important to run any faster than I already have. My why is below.

Someday, she might care about running. Running the marathon. If so, she will want to beat me. When I think about my best time. It's a little bit soft. When I think about this I am motivated to give the marathon my very best effort and then a little more.( But not just this instant because it is minus 9 degrees and I have no childcare for Isaac making 2.5 -3 hour runs impossible. Also I'm 40 and 40 year old don't run marathon PR's without a shit ton of rehab, and I ski in the winter... and on top of all thatI'm tired and lacking sleep. So maybe next year....2019 I'll launch myself)The number one thing older parents tell me is that if they could do one thing differently it would be to make their children struggle a little bit more. 


Photos shared with permission of race/race photographers


No comments: