UP North visit: Winter Has Arrived

Tim Breaks The Trail

January 25


We arrived into Pellston last night. You know your in the yeti north when the airport you fly in to looks like a ski lodge or a hunting cabin. I was quite looking forword to this visit. This would be the ultimate test of Tim. He faired well in the yeti north just fine during our summer visit but we shall see how the snow and cold will treat him.


As the plane prepared to touch down I slipped on my hat, mittens, and winter jacket. Tim laughed at me as if he didn't know how cold it would. He said his jacket was in his bag. I thought to myself he's going to be a cold boy while waiting for the luggage to be unloaded. It soon became appartent that all the bags had been unloaded and collected except Tim's. With some research it was determined the bag had missed the connection in Salt Lake City and would arrive the next day. Brrr. Tim was going to be a cold boy. Good the the car wasn't far and the Big Systems Buick has heated seats. The car was parked right in front of the airport. Everybody gets rockstar VIP parking in Pellston.
We headed north across the Mackinac Bridge and soon arrived home. My mom was happy to warm us up with some home made and home grown chili. Mmm we were getting spoiled already.

The next morning I woke up early and headed out for a run. The temp read 16 degrees F. In addition to running tights I wore duofold dual layer long john's, and three moisture wicking tops under a fleece, accompanied my my ski hat , gloves , and wool ski socks. I managed to stay warm but felt a little weighted down with all the gear. For some reason running in the morning, and running in the cold give me a certain kind of "I've beaten mother nature smuggness." Gros Cap road was really pretty with the snow on lake Michingan and shades of pink and orange in the early morning sky. I ran down memory lane as I passed Gros Cap school the k-8 I attended. I ran by the old steeple church where we used to sing Christmas carols, and down the windy road past the Mercer's house where I used to babysit. When I arrived home Tim was still sleeping. Perfect ....If I've ran 6 miles while Tim slept he'll have to at least snowshoe.


My mom went to work preparing breakfast and I brewed some Illy Espresso before waking Tim. I can't wait to ask him to go snowshoeing. If only his bag would arrive with his boots.
Afternoon arrives and after a few calls to the airport so does Tim's bag. No excuses now. We head out towards Emil's property and begin our snowshoeing adventure.



No comments: